Tuesday 31 December 2013

2013: The Top of the Heap

It's that time of the year again, the end. When everyone reflects on all the things that happened this year. Well I'm going to participate in that by in no particular order listing my favourite horror films of 2013.



So first the best:

Antiviral

This beautifully shot Body Horror by Brandon Cronenberg (yes his dad is who you think he is) is not only aesthetically pleasing, but it also tackles our modern day obsession with celebrity culture and just how grotesque it could become.  Also a good Malcolm McDowell cameo is always a welcome occurrence.

Pacific Rim

Giant monsters. Giant Robots. Fighting. Meticulously done CGI. Guillermo Del Toro.

The Conjuring

It is very rare that I'm able to convince my mother to watch horror. This was one of those times and even she enjoyed it. So with my mother's approval this film spun a striking ghost/demon story that, while likely very far from the actual events, had an interesting story and spooky atmosphere. Of course it would also be nothing without the great performances by all the actors involved.

Evil Dead

Not another peep, never go to SLEEP! This gruesomely gorey film filled me with glee this year as I sat there giggling in the theatre. While not everyone is a fan this is one of the few remakes I've seen that I thoroughly enjoyed. It delivered on the promise of being different from the original and now occupies it's own special place in my heart right beside the original Evil Dead.

Willow Creek

What can I say that I haven't already said about this Big Foot spooker. It is one of the films that is helping to break me of my bias against found footage films. It had great leads that were able to carry the film and create believable chemistry on camera. Any movie that manages to put me on the edge of my seat even if just for a few minutes deserves a spot on this list and Willow Creek earned it this year.

Stoker

I thought this was going to be a vampire movie... it wasn't, but I'm a-okay with that. Another one I somehow managed to get my parents to watch I don't know how much they enjoyed it, but I haven't seen something so beautifully unsettling in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment