Wednesday 18 September 2013

Insidious: Chapter 2


You've gotta love a free movie right? Well once again I won myself some tickets to the pre-screening of a James Wan film, this time Insidious Chapter 2. When offered a free movie even the most petrified of friends will join you for a horror movie, in this case it was my friend Mark. I must say when you are going to a sequel horror film, always bring a scaredy cat, it will make the experience fun no matter what, just make sure they prepare their underpants.
As we all know by now the movie picks up right where the original left off. We begin with a flashback which contains some incredible casting of the younger versions of many of the characters. I was left wondering if it indeed was different actors or if they had CGI-ed the original actors to make them look younger. I am also a sucker for a great title card which this film had, paired with the great ominous music. Also every person in this movie owns a gorgeous house, seriously if a little bout of possession means you get some great real estate I'm surprised more people don't try it

SOMEONE SCRATCHED THE FLOORING!
One of the things that stood out for me in the film was Patrick Wilson's performance while he was "afflicted". The choices he made helped to hide one of the twists the film had. I for one also enjoyed the return of the paranormal investigating duo. If they do a sequel it really should just be about those two, it could be Scooby Doo for adults.

But Specs, if you go in there you'll get a Specy snack.
Now onto the problems I had with the film, while I was thoroughly entertained the entire movie had this familiarity to it, then it dawned on me there were a lot of similarities between this and The Conjuring, not just when it came to cast members too. And it wasn't just the spooky closets and beings not everyone can see,  if you watch the ending very closely, you'll notice quite a few parallels with the Conjuring's ending, sappiness and all. Also, the villain's make-up could have been a lot creepier, it felt like they could have come straight out of Disney's Haunted Mansion attraction. That said I wasn't the biggest fan of the original, but was still entertained even if partially just from watching the horror on my friend's face.
Welcome to the Haunted Mansion, please keep hands and feet inside of the car at all times!

No comments:

Post a Comment